Sunday, December 19, 2010

winds of change

So minutes on my last post...

I went to Child Protective Services to volunteer with Partnership for Children.  Best night of volunteer work ever.  I spent four hours wrapping presents for foster care children.  Kids ages 6 months through 17 1/2 years old.  The youngsters' wish lists consisted of board games, video games and puzzles.  The oldest kids wished for suitcases and work clothes.  Heartbreaking.  At the same time, so rewarding.  At age 18, they are out of the foster care system, on their own.  When I was 17, I was wishing for Cd's, gift certificates to Delias,  and cash.  These 17 year olds want real life things- like toothbrushes and shoes.  Not cute in-style shoes, rather the kind you can wear on an interview.  I learned a lot about charity that night.  I was the only volunteer that came on my own accord.  I was not with an organization that made me feel obligated to participate, I was not some one's mother that made a pledge to help, I didn't have a hand outreached for something in return.  Somehow this was surprising to everyone involved.  I was asked if I needed hours for a transcript.  Or to go on a resume.  Nope.  I just want to help.  Apparently this is hard to believe.  Wow.  Needless to say, there is a lot of work for me in the future.  I made myself available to the director for any work she can throw my way.  Letting her know that I have two hands and a strong will.

Winds of change are blowing my direction.

I cut off all my old hair.  Just about 6 inches.  Fueled by champagne and a want for change, I stood over my bathroom sink and started chopping off two years of determination.  Ha.  I was so determined not to cut my hair until it made its way to the middle of my back.  But why?  So i can spend more time brushing it in the morning and then throw it in a ponytail?  That stopped sounding fun.  It was just 10 days before my birthday and I felt old.  So I did something to make me new.

How can I go from talking about foster children to haircuts in one post?  I guess it's all relative.  Well, I know that I'll be back at CPS soon, helping where I can and this time my locks won't get in my way!

I waited about a week between my first entry and this second one, and I took some time to think about the reason for this outlet.  I might be revising my blog's purpose.  I don't believe I'll ever have a thousand-reader-strong following, rather a few eyes that can relate or maybe feed me advise, answers, or a good wake up call.  This is going to be about my next year alive- as was originally intended.  The difference in motive from the post past is

nope, I'm lost.  I can't make a statement that will shape a year's worth of writing.  Maybe I don't need to.

Cheers,
Jess

1 comment:

  1. I have kids that ask for underwear! They NEED lots but they want the fun stuff too. Winter coats was a big request. Thanks for helping out, it does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete